Certified Nurse Midwives
Certified nurse midwives are advanced practice nurses who have specialized education and training in nursing and midwifery. Western OB/GYN certified nurse midwives provide obstetrical and gynecologic services, including well-woman care.
We provide care for routine pregnancies and work collaboratively with our obstetrician colleagues to care for high-risk or complex pregnancies. We make referrals to allied professionals if needed, such as physical therapy, diabetic education, and maternal fetal medicine.
Nurse midwives help women prepare for a joyful and healthy start to motherhood and a healthy baby. During prenatal visits, we monitor you and your baby’s health. We discuss common topics which include nutrition, physical changes in pregnancy, sleep and childbirth preparation.
During labor we provide on- going labor support, along with physical comfort measures. We help to make delivery as natural, comfortable, and uncomplicated as possible. This includes offering massage, water therapy (hydrotherapy), position changes, aromatherapy, birthing balls, pain medications and epidural if desired, to make childbirth more comfortable.
Water birth is another option at Ridgeview. Each labor room has its own bathroom with a deep Jacuzzi tub. Many women have found significant relief of labor pains while reclining in the tub. A water birth can be a satisfying birth option.
Nurse Midwife Services:
- Annual physicals
- Birth control counseling and management
- Preventive and diagnostic screenings, tests
- Prenatal care
- Medical therapy recommendations
- Premenopausal, menopausal, and postmenopausal consultations
About Certified Nurse Midwives
A certified nurse midwife is an expert in normal birth deliveries and is recognized worldwide as an important medical professional in providing maternity care to women. As trained medical professionals, midwives provide care, education, counseling and support to women and newborns during their pregnancy and the postpartum period. The care they provide includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of women throughout childbearing.
- Providing women and families with specialized and individualized education, counseling and prenatal care.
- Delivering ongoing hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, as well as postpartum support.
- Identifying and referring women requiring an obstetrician’s care.
Important facts to know about certified nurse midwives
- Certified nurse midwives are registered nurses who have completed graduate-level education in midwifery and who have passed a national certification exam
- Nurse midwifery practice is legal in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Nurse midwives can prescribe medication in 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Nurse midwives practice at birth centers, clinics, and hospitals.
Request an Appointment.
The highly trained midwives at Western OB/GYN have extensive experience providing care to women throughout the Chaska and Waconia, MN area. Call (952) 442-2137 to schedule an appointment.